I am one of many who never make New Year’s Resolutions. It makes more sense to me to work on individual goals all year around. But in the spirit of the holiday, I think I need to make an escorting list of resolutions to keep in front of me each day when I head to the clinic
In the spirit of improving my presence on the sidewalk, here is my list:
- I will not engage in exchanges with antis. It doesn’t matter what I hear them say. It doesn’t matter how incorrect their information is. Even when they say EMW earned $3 billion (!) performing abortions last year. Even when they quote breast cancer, sterility and post-abortion syndrome nonsense. Even when they say hurtful things to clients and companions. Even when they scream at me. I will not engage.
- I will respond with courtesy and politeness when antis greet me or ask me a direct question. Promoting calm and minimizing chaos is the goal. If I need to say “Good Morning” to an anti to start the day on an adult basis, it is okay. I do not have to engage in conversation, but I do not have to abandon all social conventions.
- I will not feel guilty when I cannot escort due to illness or not having the attitude necessary to be an effective escort. It will not be appreciated by the clients or other escorts if I give them a cold or flu, show up angry or needing assistance. Self-care is as important as escorting.
- I will not race antis to get beside a client first. Swooping down as a group of antis and escorts is intimidating to the clients. It doesn’t matter who reaches the client first. It does matter what words I choose when I get there.
- I will not react when B redirects clients to the AWC “free” parking after I have given them detailed directions on where to park. There are a lot of clients who do not have money for parking. No one has been threatened with towing from the AWC lot in a long time and the antis are quick to point out to all of the escorts they will not tow EMW clients from their lot. Advising the client AWC is anti-abortion and their lot is private property is enough. Respect for the clients and companions includes trusting them to make a parking decision.
- I will not react when I am pushed aside and shoved by antis. This is especially true when M and The Mayor are around. It is hard for me to control my reactions towards these two because of their extreme aggression and their hate-filled rhetoric. Repositioning myself in relation to the client and continuing to talk in a calm manner is a better tactic than acknowledging the antis’ antics. Of course, calling the police is the correct action if an injury is sustained.
- I will not hit snooze on my alarm repeatedly days when I have made a commitment to myself to escort. No matter how cold, rainy, snowy or lack of sleep I had the night before. It is only an hour at the beginning of the day. I can get warm, dry and sleep after I escort.
This is my list. What are your resolutions?